TEL. 03-6264-8446

Change of Status of Residence

If a foreign national changes purpose of stay or your activities, status of residence has to be changed to new one.

It takes 4,000 yen as a charge of immigration.

typical situations

1. Graduated from university, and get job.
before: student
after: Engineer/ Specialist in Humanities /International Services

2. get merried to japanese national
before: some working Visa
after: Japanese spouse

3. get divorced
before: Japanese spouse
after: long term regident, or some working Visa

4. quit job and launch own business
after: Business Manager

5. no longer meet the requirement of current status and apply for another

To apply for this, usually the same documents are required as those for the certificate of eligibility.

Guidelines for Permission for Change of Status of Residence and Extension of Period of Stay (Revised)